The Sacred Heart Parish was established in the early 1950’s to look after the many post war migrants moving into the area. Father John O’Reilly was the Parish Priest of Sacred Heart parish for over 40 years and was instrumental in driving the vision of Catholic Education for families in our parish.
In 1996, parishioners of Sacred Heart – Emmaus, put forward a proposal to build a Catholic church and Catholic school in Sydenham. Those in attendance were told of the spiritual, social, financial and educational implications of this plan.
Emmaus Catholic Church celebrated its first Mass in 1997 and Emmaus Catholic Primary School opened on 30th January 1997 with 118 children. Mr Joe Caruana was the first principal.
Emmaus is one of three parish Catholic schools. Sacred Heart Primary School in St Albans established in 1950, Emmaus Catholic Primary School in Sydenham established in 1997 and Cana Catholic Primary School in Hillside established in 2004 are united as one federation and share the philosophy of praying, working and sharing together.